Kathleen Matthews, DNP, APRN, PMHNP, FNP
Alaska Director of Nursing Program
"I have many years of broad and varied life and professional experiences. I have a strong background in nursing and I truly believe that perspective makes a difference. I was raised on a dairy farm and have also lived in big cities again giving me a variety of perspectives."
NICE TO MEET YOU!
Patients can expect that I will listen and do my best to make sure I understand what is going on for them that is keeping them from living their best life. Together we will develop a plan to address those issues from a biopsychosocialspiritual perspective.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Postpartum Depression/Anxiety
MENTAL HEALTH + WELLNESS RESOURCES
(MY FAVORITE RECOMMENDATIONS)
Kathleen is a nurse practitioner with both psychiatric and family practice ANCC certification. Kathleen earned her Master’s Degree in Nursing from the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT in 1989 and completed her post-master’s Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree from the University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND in 2020. She has many years of experience in evaluating and managing patients with mental health issues. A holistic approach viewing individuals as bio-psycho-social-spiritual beings guides her evaluations and treatment recommendations. She is regarded as a strong patient advocate and utilizes a variety of therapeutic approaches to improve mental health and quality of life. She recognizes the value of new and emerging treatments for treatment resistant depression and is committed to having these treatments available to Alaskans.
Kathleen is regarded as a strong patient advocate and utilizes a variety of therapeutic approaches to improve mental health and quality of life.
- May 2020 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND DNP Project: Primary Care and Behavioral Health Provider Communication: Strategy for Improvement
- June 1989 Master of Science Degree in Nursing University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT Specialties: Mental Health (1994), Family Practice (1989) Thesis Option: Zoonotic Diseases
- May 1986 Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing, Cum Laude Jamestown College, Jamestown, ND
- May 1985 Associate Degree in Nursing North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND
- ANCC Family Nurse Practitioner Certification
- ANCC Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certification
- Achieve Medical Center
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Alaska Association of Nurse Practitioners